Sheldon Traille - upholding honesty and integrity

Amitabh Sharma
Hospitality Jamaica Senior Writer

Published March 17, 2010
Hospitality Jamaica

Sheldon Traille loves to shoot – that is, as a videographer and photographer at Dolphin Cove, St Ann. He trains his lenses to freeze the right moment.

“I capture their (the guests) special, once in a lifetime moment,” said Traille.

Sheldon was working at Pizza Man as a waiter when he met Gregory Burrowes, Vice President of Dolphin Cove Ltd., who was so impressed with his customer service that he told him to come to Dolphin Cove and fill out an employment application.

Sheldon came was interviewed and hired as a photographer in the Video Department. He has been at Dolphin Cove since April 2005.

“When I applied the only post available was of video and photographer, I took up the offer,” he said.

Having no prior experience in the field did not deter Traille, who learned the ropes in a jiffy.

“I watched and felt what they did and I did the same thing, I was taking photos and videos from day one.”

He has received employee of the month twice in the past 6 months. Sheldon was recently honored with the Exceptional Integrity Award for returning a guest’s diamond engagement ring valued at US $20,000.

“This happened a month ago,” Traille recalled. “I am first person to get into the department, my manager called me to tell me that a guest had a lost a ring in the sand, so I raked and I found the ring.”

“When I saw it I said, ‘Wow’; it was silver looking with diamonds, plenty of diamonds…very expensive,” he said. “I put it in the envelope and gave it to the reception (desk).”

He attributes his honesty to the morals passed down while growing up with his grandmother in Drumilly, St Ann.

“I was grown up like that, if I found a pencil or a book that did not belong to me, I used to give it to the school,” he said.

Traille was born in St Ann and spent the first five years of his life in Gravel Hill where he attended Gravel Hill Basic School.

He graduated from Marcus Garvey Technical High School in 1996 and then attended to Portmore HEART Academy from 1998-2000 where he did electrical, plumbing and masonry and tiling courses.

In his spare time, Sheldon enjoys playing football, singing, performing, and farming with his father, in Claremont.

“We grow sweet and salt yam, potatoes, cabbage,” he informed Hospitality Jamaica. “it brings extra money, which is always welcome.”

Traille, has two sisters and six brothers and lives with his girlfriend Shennel.
Down the line, he said, he would like to start his own business. “I do extra assignments in my spare time but want to start off something in the future,” he said.

As for his success, he said that he is grateful to his mother, girlfriend, and his Dolphin Cove family, who have believed in him more than he has ever believed in himself.

amitabh.sharma@gleanerjm.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Naandeyé García Villegas – narrating social commentaries through her art

OFF THE BEATEN PATH - Free your spirits, rest your mind

Sonia Gray – custodian of Kingston’s best kept secret