Loving every moment - Pauline Campbell

Amitabh Sharma
Hospitality Jamaica Senior Writer

PUBLISHED: March 3, 2010
HOSPITALITY JAMAICA 

Pauline Campbell never had formal training in hospitality, but it was her dream to work in the industry, and when the opportunity came, she took the challenge with grit and did her job to perfection.

“I learnt everything here, it came easy to me as I always took my work as looking after my home,” Campbell said, who has worked at the Jamaica Pegasus for nine years, as a room attendant, with a coy smile. “Everyday when I go to work I just have that thought.”

She puts all her efforts into ensuring that when her guests turn in for a night of rest, their room is immaculate and refreshing with all the comforts of home in place.

Campbell had her share of hardships when she started out, her three daughters were attending school, “I gave them bus money and used to walk from home to work almost every day,” she recalls.

It was her love for the job that made her tide over the adversities, “You need to love your job, if you just take it as work then you can’t do it well, that’s the principle I have lived by,” Campbell said.

 She works on the “Turndown Service Team” (12.30 p.m. to 9 p.m.) ensuring guests are comfortable at nights.

UPHOLDING HIGH STANDARDS

In her early days, she worked as a security guard and seamstress before joining the Jamaica Pegasus team.

Today, she carries on her daily tasks of making beds, cleaning bathrooms and bedrooms in keeping with high standards. She is also is a member of the team which trains new staff and interns.

For her, Pegasus is like home and she wants to continue and infuse high standards by going that extra mile. “It has been a great experience for me,” she said. “Now I want to go back to school and learn more about housekeeping and see what value addition I can bring.”

amitabh.sharma@gleanerjm.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Naandeyé García Villegas – narrating social commentaries through her art

OFF THE BEATEN PATH - Free your spirits, rest your mind

Sonia Gray – custodian of Kingston’s best kept secret