Ruthlyn Henry – an asset to The Jamaica Pegasus


Amitabh Sharma
Hospitality Jamaica Senior Writer

Published March 17, 2010
Hospitality Jamaica

It was her curiosity for the establishment that brought Ruthlyn Henry to Jamaica Pegasus hotel.

“I used to wonder how the building looked from inside,” she recalled.

Henry, who was dress maker at a boutique, wanted a career change and made the move.

“I was not getting what I wanted,” she said. “I sent in my application to the hotel for the post of room attendant and got selected.”

That was fifteen years ago, and Henry learnt to be quick on her feet to make up for her lack of experience.

“I did not have any experience in house keeping, but when I came to work the first day, I was greeted with warmth and friendliness,” Henry said. “I put myself in the job right away.”

Henry, who is married has five children and three grandchildren, was born in St Mary and later moved to St Andrew.

As housekeeping assistant at the hotel, she routinely inspects bedrooms and public areas to ensure compliance with the hotel’s policies and procedures relative to health, hygiene, safety and security.

She said even while she advanced professionally, she managed to go back to school and sit the Caribbean Examinations Council English exam.

“I want to do a course in interior designing too,” she said, with a smile. “Maybe I can give some ideas for decorating the rooms to the hotel.”

Her design experience has come in handy, she says, as she has shared ideas on how to decorate rooms.

“I did a room for a couple on Valentine’s Day, decorating the bed with rose petals shaped as a heart on the bed and also the Jacuzzi,” she said.

Her supervisors say that she is an asset to the department.

“She is more than a Housekeeping Assistant and extremely detailed with inspecting her rooms.  She takes pride in her work, using her initiative and her creativity to please her guests.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Naandeyé García Villegas – narrating social commentaries through her art

OFF THE BEATEN PATH - Free your spirits, rest your mind

Sonia Gray – custodian of Kingston’s best kept secret