PATRICK LEWIS: Professionalism par excellence

Amitabh Sharma, Hospitality Jamaica Senior Writer

A call to the Hilton Kingston hotel gives you a fair chance of being greeted by the pleasant voice of Patrick Lewis. "I love to be the first point of contact, it comes naturally," declared Lewis, telecommunications agent at the hotel. He said that he views this position with pride and takes it seriously.

"There is no room for complacency," he said, "Guests can smell service from a zillion miles."

Lewis, who joined Hilton Kingston in December 2005, displays the same zeal and professionalism five years down the line. He attributes this attitude to the high standards that were expected of him by his parents when he was growing up. "My parents were instrumental in instilling values of honesty, integrity and best practices, which help me till today," the 37-year-old Lewis recalled.
He grew up in Portmore, St Catherine, where he attended Independence City All-Age and then went to Kingston Technical High.

Lewis started his professional career at Salada Foods as phone operator, before moving to this position. "My first job gave me a solid foundation of appreciating work and developing interpersonal skills," he said.

He describes himself as self-motivated, and inspired by legendary Pakistani cricketer Imran Khan and Bob Marley's music.

He metaphorically took a leaf from Shakespeare and said, "for me the job is like being an actor on a stage, the moment I step in from the staff entrance, I leave everything behind," adding, "it is light, camera, action."

"I love cricket and admire Imran Khan, because he was a demanding player and set high standards both for himself and the team," he said.

A resident of Spanish Town, he lives with his wife Lorna, a paralegal professional, and four children.

"My family attends the Power of Faith Church in Portmore, but I do not get time to go as much as I want," he lamented.

passion for outreach

Lewis carries his passion in reaching out the community at large, "I am passionate about service, if I can help somebody as I walk along the way," he said. A huge fan of Bob Marley, he finds the reggae icon's songs inspiring and uplifting.

He is deeply motivated by the words to the popular Bob Marley song Coming in From the Cold and is especially inspired by the lyrics, "When one door is closed, many more are opened".

Complimented for having a 'radio' voice, Lewis wants to pursue mass communication and do radio broadcasting. "I envisage myself in a studio in front of the microphone wearing an earphone and talking to the world."

Lewis said that he will continue setting high standards and following them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Naandeyé García Villegas – narrating social commentaries through her art

OFF THE BEATEN PATH - Free your spirits, rest your mind

Sonia Gray – custodian of Kingston’s best kept secret