Living an old love story - Nescha Watson


Published February 17, 2010
Hospitality Jamaica 

Amitabh Sharma
Hospitality Jamaica Senior Writer

“I passed by Rose Hall every single day going to school,” reminiscences Nescha Watson, “but never thought that I would end up working here one day.”

For Watson, guest services supervisor at Rose Hall Resort and Spa in Montego Bay, the job profile comes as perfect fit as she loves to listen to the ocean, love to laugh and have fun.

She joined the resort in May 2002 as communications operator, where she used answer phone calls and handle the PBX (Private Branch Exchange). “I was hired because I was told that I have a sweet voice,” she said, breaking into laughter; a trait that is synonymous with her.

Watson recounted her journey from there on, she told Hospitality Jamaica that she learnt the full extent of the operations of the PBX, Front Desk, Reservations and the basic requirements that she needed to have a steady foundation in the Guest Services Department.

“This is my first job in the Hospitality and Tourism Industry and I fell in love and there was and is no looking back,” she recalled.

Watson got promoted to Guest Services Agent and in 2010 was made Guest Services Supervisor, “I am elated with the way things are going and certainly looking up,” she said.

She describes her job as an ‘old love story’, “this is my second home and family,” Watson said.

Watson, mother of a four-year-old daughter, loves her work, “this Hotel has opened many doors for me both personally and professionally and I have stepped in. I earned my Associate Degree and my Bachelors in Hospitality and Tourism Management.”

“Long days and longer nights, but I put my mind to it  and I did it. This is a beautiful Resort and great place to work,” she added.

This experience is also personally gratifying for her, and she uses every opportunity to learn; she said that the best part of her job is to meet people from other countries and different cultures, “It is exciting to learn something new everyday.”

She is a down to earth person, loves listening to the ocean when it’s quiet. “I love to laugh and simply, have fun,” she says.

Her  motto in life is something that she imbibed from her school, “Ad Astra Per Aspera” “To the Stars through Difficulties”.

This Guest Services Supervisor has her eyes set on the skies, “ I never limit myself,” she says.“With Gods guidance I will achieve much more. I am progressive, hence I always seek new ways and opportunities to improve.”

amitabh.sharma@gleanerjm.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Naandeyé García Villegas – narrating social commentaries through her art

OFF THE BEATEN PATH - Free your spirits, rest your mind

Sonia Gray – custodian of Kingston’s best kept secret