Traile-blazer embraces art

Tashanya Traile - self taught artist

“Art found me, it was in me and all I had to do was to let it flow,” said Tashanya Traile, a young, self-taught artist.

Traile says she is an artist inspired by personal experiences and struggles. “I love to transfer these experiences to canvas,” declared the 27-year-old, who chose to hang up her crisp business attire and embrace art and its myriad of shades.

Traile was living in New Jersey, and one day the world of possibilities opened in front of her when when she walked into Michaels (an art supply store).

The transformation had seeded, she said, as Traile was as delighted as a kid in a candy store. “There was so much in the store. I was so excited!”
Artist Undressed - Traile embraces art in its many hues

But this journey began not on a colourful path, but was mired in shades of grey, with detractions, naysayers and dissuasion. Her decision to tread a path of self expression was met with more resistance than encouragement; gloomy as a New York winter.

“All I needed was someone to believe in me,” Traile said, as her smile transitioned to choked emotions, and tears streaming from her eyes.

But an ounce of encouragement was enough to counter the pound of discouragement. “My uncle, who I was living with in New Jersey, supported me wholeheartedly,” she said. “Mummy used to call everyday and say that I should believe in myself.”

Tashanya chose not to live the proverbial 9-to-5. “I was taking the bull by the horn and seeing where it would lead me,” she said.

Armed with her paintings and a never-say-die attitude, she set out to ensure that the world would see her emotive expressions.
Traile wants the world to see her emotive expressions. Showcased here is 'Warmth of My Heart'.

Traile, who has a degree in mass communication, followed her heart and instincts and is now one of the first Jamaicans to exhibit at The Art Factory in Paterson, New Jersey.

PRESTIGIOUS VENUE
The Art Factory is a 400,000-square foot, old silk mill that has now been repurposed as an Art Facility and Event Centre. The facility has hosted Yoko Ono, famous sculptor Willie Cole among others.
The premiere party for ‘The Walking Dead’ series was hosted here as well as ‘Fear Factor’ and the International Textile show.

Her debut show ­ Reverberation: Story of a Pebble in Water, with 12 pieces in mixed media, went up on September 14, 2013.

She also recently participated in the Mandeville Art Fair.
Traile's work - Lonely Night


The St Ann native, Traile, says she is inspired by her own personal experiences and struggles. “I enjoy transferring these experiences to canvas,” she informed.

Creativity is not bound by any pre-defined borders and is limitless, “By applying abstraction, I try and create intense personal moments,” the budding artist says, adding, “The works don’t always reference recognisable form.”

“Every painting has a meaning and story behind it,” Traile explained, “it is a reflection of what is going on in the society, whenever I come across any incident in the news, it compels me to express it.”

Traile, who is also an avid photographer, affirms she wants to not only wow the people with her work, but also help youngsters, whose dreams might have been nipped at the bud, in their creative pursuits.

Walt Disney once said, “All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them”, Tashanya is one of those youngsters, who not only has the grit, courage and talent, but the face of transformation and a ‘Traile-blazer’.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OFF THE BEATEN PATH - Free your spirits, rest your mind

Naandeyé García Villegas – narrating social commentaries through her art

Sonia Gray – custodian of Kingston’s best kept secret