Riding the crescendo


Published July 15, 2012, Sunday Gleaner 
Joan Phillips' talent, love for performing arts and zeal for life rise way above her petite frame. A singer, dancer, choreographer, songwriter, businesswoman, academic valedictorian, this 24-year-old is basking under the arc light's glory.
The multifaceted artiste says she draws inspiration from Michael Jackson, Prince and Beyoncé - artistes she grew up listening to.
"I was inspired by them. I grew up listening to them and I emulate them," Phillips said. "I focus on world music as opposed to only reggae and dancehall, so learning Spanish music, Italian, jazz, is what I do."
Phillips says she likes to push the boundaries and do something different. "I had a song where I was on my head," she said.
"I like to dance and sing, so I always have a head mike and even if I have my (hand-held) mike … I am still dancing."
Though shying away from being called a childhood prodigy, Phillips' romance with music and the performing arts began at an early age.
"I loved the arts ever since I was young and I (have been) writing songs since I was eight," said Phillips.
By the time she was 12, Phillips was choreographing dance for the dance ministry of her church. Along with two schoolmates, she formed her first band at Merl Grove High School, which won a bronze medal in the Jamaica Cultural Development Commission's music festival. "That's where the love of music began," she said.
Armed with a dream and a myriad of ideas, Phillips had a career path rolled out, though singing was not her first choice.
EXPOSED 
"I was always the actress and the dancer. I wanted to come to Edna Manley to dance," informed the 2009 valedictorian of the Edna Manley College of the Visual and Performing Arts.
Phillips got exposed to a wide range of visual and performing arts at school, "I went to different schools to learn different art forms I ended up learning introduction to film, animation, dance, acting, and playwriting."
Being exposed to a wide spectrum of visual and performing arts, Phillips tries to incorporate those nuances when she is onstage.
"My performances should relate to the preference of the audience. Sometimes, based on the vibe you get on the stage, you go with the flow," she said, clipping her fingers in synch and rhythm of the tone of her words.
She describes music and dance as her passion, and is currently recording her first album. "The first single will be Caution and the video premiere should be in November 2012."
Phillips has her eyes set on the long haul in the creative industry. When she is not conceptualising shows and performances, she is busy putting plans in place to develop her business.
"I always wanted to be my own boss and want JPen Studios (her artiste management company) to be the conglomerate of performing arts companies for the Caribbean," said Phillips, who has worked as production coordinator for 'Mission Catwalk' for two seasons.
INSPIRATION
Four individuals, whose work, teaching and approach to life have been a constant source of energy, have always inspired her.
"Michael Jackson as the entertainer; Marcus Garvey for standing up for rights, he had a dream and believed in his people; I would say Jay-Z and Butch Stewart, in terms of business, because they come from different backgrounds, circumstances, and different cultures and made a mark in their respective businesses."
Phillips says she is striving to make her country proud, by spreading her wings and flying beyond the shores of Jamaica.
"I want to be an international performer, I will push further and never let anything get me down."
amitabh.sharma@hotmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NaandeyĂ© GarcĂ­a Villegas – narrating social commentaries through her art

OFF THE BEATEN PATH - Free your spirits, rest your mind

Sonia Gray – custodian of Kingston’s best kept secret